Thursday, April 9, 2009

There's a New Name Written Down in Glory....

Do you know that song? I can't get it out of my head this afternoon. But today it's not my name I'm singing about. It is the name of a dear little girl we call Honey. Yes, today her real name, not her nickname, has been written in the Book of Life. Let me tell you about it.

During lunch today she was talking about a song we'd heard in the van about Jesus preparing a place for us in heaven. From there we talked about Easter and Jesus dying on the cross for our sins.
"Yes, but Mommy," she said, " I don't know why Jesus died on the cross."
I explained that because God is so good he can't have sin is his heaven. Jesus wants us to live there when we are done living here on earth. We have to die for our sin but Jesus loves us so much he doesn't want us to die for our sins so he died on the cross for us. He died to take our sins all away.
"But Mommy, why did he do it?" she asked.
"Because he loves us so much."
"Yes," she said, "Jesus loves all the children and moms and dads and everybody."
"Yes, because he loves us and wants us to have our sins forgiven He died for us. We can ask him to forgive our sins and help us to do what is right."
Then she blurts out, "But I didn't do that yet."
I must admit I was a little surprised but I said, "Well, you can. Right now if you want to."
She says, "Right now? Ok, Dear Jesus, Can I say that? Yes, I'm going to say Dear Jesus. Dear Jesus, Thank you for dying on the cross for my sins. I'm sorry I that I do my sins. Please forgive me. (Now, what should I say, Mommy.) (Mommy says, "Maybe say thank you and please help me to do what is right so I can make you happy.") She says, "Thank you that I am happy. Please help me to do what is right. Amen"
Then she looks up at me with this little grin and asks for some more lunch.
I could have cried.
Oh the faith of a little child. That first part of her prayer was completely unprompted, at least by me. To think that the Spirit of God could work like that in such a little girl. I am in awe.
Now I know I know, some naysayers out there will point out how much of it all she does not understand but I'd like to say there is so much she does understand. Jesus died for her sins. She had not thanked him or asked for his forgiveness. Now she has. It is enough!
Praise the Lord.

2 comments:

Dennis and Valerie said...

Wooooooooo HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

You could have cried? I bawled!! Best news ever!!!
Aunt Bee